Transportation Services Manager - Town of Edson
Location: Edson, Alberta
Edson has a full range of recreational and cultural facilities. Located between Jasper National Park and the City of Edmonton, Edson is a natural stopping point for travelers and a retail destination for many surrounding communities.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Infrastructure the Transportation Services Manager is responsible for managing a crew of personnel in maintaining high-quality and dependable drainage, ditching and road systems through their plowing, grading, and general upkeep. In fulfilling this role, the Manager leads, develops, and mentors team members.
- A university degree or diploma in public administration, business management, logistics or a related field OR a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) designation, and
- At least five years’ leadership experience in road maintenance operations, preferably in the Municipal sector, including experience with construction, snow clearing, and buried utilities work.
Alternative combinations of education and experience which demonstrably provide the required knowledge and skills may be eligible in certain circumstances.
Be responsible for the regular management of the transportation systems as follows:
- Road repair, patching, sweeping,
- Ditching, culvert and catch basin maintenance,
- Snow clearing, sanding and ice removal as per established policy,
- Street signs and sidewalk review and maintenance program, and
- Annual line painting program.
- Work within established policies and procedures.
- Research and develop new policies or updates that address emerging issues or best practices.
- Assist in the preparation of annual departmental operating and capital budgets.
- Assist the Senior Manager, Infrastructure in ensuring that all procurement is completed in accordance with the approved budget, the Purchasing Policy, and other legal or policy requirements.
- Manage all direct reports in their day-to-day responsibilities.
- Create a team environment that inspires hard work, dedication, collaboration, and excellence.
- Train, mentor, and support staff to ensure their success and professional growth while delegating sufficient authority to enable independent and creative completion of assignments.
Health & Safety
- Comply with all Town policies, work procedures, rules, safety instructions and relevant directives in the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation, and Code.
- Promote health and safety initiatives within the department.
- Investigate and respond to inquiries, concerns, and complaints from the public in a timely, tactful, and effective manner.
- Foster positive and responsible working relationships with other government agencies, the private sector, community organizations and residents.
- Creativity and innovativeness, the ability to continually improve services and processes in the face of new circumstances, evolving priorities, and resource constraints,
- The ability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends, holidays),
- A working knowledge of all applicable laws and regulations.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity as we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
For a full profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D
780.665.4965 ext. 101
The Vogel Group is an executive search firm with offices in Alberta and Ontario conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity and an unwavering commitment to excellence.