Chief Operating Officer - Duncan Craig LLP
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Duncan Craig provides a full range of corporate and litigation services to local, national, and international clients. They work with startups, owner-operated businesses, entrepreneurs and institutions in Edmonton and surrounding communities. Their trusted team of lawyers are with you every step of the way whether you’ve been in a car accident, looking to write or update your will, going through a divorce, purchasing a home or settling a shareholder’s dispute.
Duncan Craig works hard to engage their staff and lawyers by challenging them to use their skills to be the best they can be.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) has the primary responsibility for the day-to-day business and non-legal aspects of the Firm. Reporting to the Managing Partner (and the Management Committee), the COO will have overall responsibility for finance and accounting, technology, human resources, and administration. The COO will be responsible in executing the Firm’s long-term goals and strategic planning.
The successful candidate should have significant experience in a financial or general administrative role in a professional services firm and be comfortable working in a law firm environment.
A professional accounting designation (CPA) and/or an MBA is preferred for this position.
Strong administrative, management, and leadership abilities.
Must be highly organized and self- directed in approach to work.
Must be able to manage administrative support staff to accomplish their objectives and goals.
The COO must establish and maintain productive, cooperative, and mutually respectful relationships with the partners, and be perceived as a credible and trustworthy colleague whose judgement is respected by the partners.
The COO must understand and be comfortable in a professional services environment. Experience and skill in managing all levels of human resources is of key importance. They will value and respect the contributions made by all employees and will encourage personal and professional development at all levels of the Firm.
Finance and Accounting
- Monitors the financial performance of the Firm and reports to the Managing Partner, Management Committee and Partnership any issues that require input or action, including significant variances.
- Supports the preparation of the monthly and annual budgets, as well as long-term fiscal planning for the Firm.
- Supports the establishment of financial controls and guidelines which optimize cost effectiveness and profitability.
- Monitors work in progress and accounts receivable to develop and maintain efficient processes and procedures to maximize firm profitability. Where necessary, makes decisions regarding delinquent accounts and write offs or write downs.
- Oversees the Director of People.
- Coordinates performance reviews for their four direct reports.
- Oversees the administration staff and ensures that proper job descriptions as well as timely review and feedback mechanisms are in place. Ensures that staffing levels and priorities are aligned with the Firm’s business and strategic planning needs.
- Oversees the Office Services Manager who is responsible to maintain and optimize the Firm’s physical facilities, furnishings and equipment; including working with landlords, contractors, architects, decorators, and other vendors and suppliers as needed.
- In cooperation with the Management Committee, develops strategies to manage and support the growth and success of the Firm.
- Ensures the Management Committee has all the necessary information to make effective decisions in a timely fashion.
- Develops and maintains all operating and administration procedures and policies of the Firm.
- Oversees the IT Director to evaluate potential and enhance existing hardware and software.
- Oversees the formulation and implementation of disaster preparedness policy.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity as we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
- For a full profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D
780.665.4965 ext. 101
The Vogel Group is an executive search firm with offices in Alberta and Ontario conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity, and an unwavering commitment to excellence.