Athabasca University – Director, Financial Reporting & Operational Services
Location: Athabasca, AB
We’re working with Athabasca University again, this time for their Director, Financial Reporting & Operational Services within their Finance and Administration Division. A global leader in online and distributed learning serving more than 40,000 students in every province and territory in Canada and in over 90 countries around the world, AU provides learning for life and is Canada’s only digital-first learning university.
Reporting to the Vice President Finance and Administration & CFO, as Director, Financial Reporting & Operational Services, you will be a key part of the team that will lead the cultural and organizational transformation focused on achieving performance excellence. Specifically, you will be responsible for leading the development, implementation and monitoring of financial, facilities and procurement policies and procedures in alignment with applicable regulations, legislation, public-sector accounting standards, best practices and industry trends.
As Director, you will support the University by managing its financial operating and reporting activities and facilities-related operations in an efficient, innovative, and professional manner. As a senior leader, you will provide strategic direction, overall leadership, information, training, support, and expert advice to stakeholders across the University from a OneAU perspective.
As the incumbent, you with have the following:
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation (CPA).
- Undergraduate degree in Management, Commerce, Accounting, or related field required; a master’s degree in Business Administration is an asset.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting and analytical financial experience, with at least 5 years at the senior management level. Experience within a post-secondary and unionized environment is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of the Public Sector Accounting Standards as well as new and emerging trends in the post-secondary sector.
- Knowledge of financial services practices in all areas is required, with the proven ability to apply that knowledge to meet the needs and challenges of the University.
- Strong business acumen, with experience leading and managing teams virtually, and demonstrated experience in technical financial concepts, best practice financial processes and financial information systems, financial and managerial accounting, financial operations and reporting.
In this exciting and near virtual work environment, this role may be permanently home-based from anywhere across the country – your postal code is irrelevant!