Executive Director - Sport Central
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Generous donations of gently used equipment and volunteer time by Edmonton and area residents help make this one of Alberta’s most cost-effective charities. Since its inception, Sport Central has provided over 180,000 low-income kids with safe gear, enabling them to participate in the sport of their choice.
The Executive Director (ED) has overall responsibility for and authority over the operational management of Sport Central. Reporting to the Board of Directors (Board), the ED is responsible for ensuring that Sport Central fulfills its mission by achieving the goals approved by the Board in the Strategic Plan. The ED is responsible in general for the leadership and management of staff, donors and volunteers.
The ED is an exceptional leader with a strategic mindset who is able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization. The successful candidate is a community leader and collaborative team-player with the following core competencies:
- A strong sense of commitment to the organization’s mission and values and the ability to motivate others to undertake initiatives with enthusiasm.
- A proven track record of strategic leadership, change management and community contribution.
- A solid understanding of working with volunteers.
- Strong financial acumen.
- The ED must demonstrate a proven track record of operational leadership. strategic planning and a passion for community involvement.
- You have the ability to work weekends and overtime hours when required to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events (with time off in lieu).
- Develop and implement approved short and long term strategic and operating policies, plans and procedures consistent with the vision, goals and objectives established by the Board of Directors.
- Identify opportunities to enhance the mission of Sport Central and make appropriate recommendations to the Board of Directors in areas of policy, procedures, administration, community engagement and operations.
- Implement and manage operational policies including recruitment, orientation, retention, performance management and compensation.
- Monitor regular ongoing activities of the organization through review of management reports, team meetings, operational plan objectives and committee structures.
- Forge strategic partnership with community groups, community boards, government, and local businesses in order to promote the mission of Sport Central.
- Oversee event planning and execution.
- Attend all Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings and other Board Committee meetings.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement the Strategic Plan.
- In collaboration with direct reports, propose the annual budget and operational plan for Board approval.
- Develop, review, and revise policies and procedures for Board approval, acting in collaboration with direct reports when appropriate, and implement an ongoing policy review process at the Board and operations levels.
- Act as the primary point of contact for inquiries about Sport Central and its vision, mission, values, programs, and outcomes.
- Establish relationships with community businesses, media outlets, agencies, non-profits, service groups and schools.
- Implement policies by developing processes individually or in collaboration with operational staff.
- Facilitate recruitment and retention of volunteers for key operational roles.
- Be familiar with operational staff’s work through regular supervision and reviewing written reports for inclusion in Board meeting agenda packages.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
780.665.4965 ext. 101
The Vogel Group is a leadership search firm with offices in Edmonton and Hamilton conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity, and an unwavering commitment to excellence.