Executive Director - Jewish Family Services Edmonton
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Jewish Family Services Edmonton (JFSE) is a dynamic not for profit organization dedicated to providing a range of essential services and support to individuals and families. JFSE helps people who are suffering social, economic, mental and emotional adversity and are in need of assistance. They have been proudly serving the local Edmonton community for over half a century, walking side by side with individuals and communities as they go through challenging times.
The Executive Director (ED) of the Jewish Family Services Edmonton is a key leadership role responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization’s operations, strategic planning, revenue, and community engagement. The ED works closely with the Board of Directors, staff, and external partners to fulfill the organization’s mission and ensure its continued growth and impact.
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for the organization in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Lead and inspire staff and stakeholders to achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
- Ensure the organization’s services are aligned with the evolving needs of the community.
- Mentor and provide leadership to the management team at JFSE to ensure quality care to the client families in accordance with the defined standards. Manage the selection, supervision, and training of program staff.
- Oversee day-to-day operations, including program development, budgeting, human resources management, and financial management.
- Supervise and support staff members to achieve their individual and team goals.
- Ensure that policy, practice and strategy are in place to avoid risk to the organization.
Revenue and Resource Development
- Develop and execute revenue strategies to secure financial support from foundations, government grants and donors.
- Explore new revenue-generation opportunities to sustain and expand programs.
- Represent the organization at community events, conferences, and meetings.
- Advocate for the needs and interests of the organization’s clients and the broader community.
Governance and Board Relations:
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, providing regular updates, reports, and recommendations.
- Support the Board in its governance and strategic oversite role.
- Develop, review, and revise policies and procedures for Board approval, acting in collaboration with direct reports when appropriate, and implement an ongoing policy review process at the Board and operations levels.
- Act as the primary point of contact for inquiries about the JFSE.
- Manage human resources functions, including administration of employee benefits and conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports.
The ED is an exceptional leader with a strategic mindset who is able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization. The successful candidate is a community leader and collaborative team-player with the following core competencies:
- A strong sense of commitment to the organization’s mission and values and the ability to motivate others to undertake initiatives with enthusiasm.
- A proven track record of strategic leadership, change management and community contribution.
- A demonstrated passion for a community building whether in a professional or voluntary capacity.
- Relevant experience in the not-for-profit sector (preferably) and a post-secondary degree or diploma in a relevant field. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience applying for and securing grants.
- Proven leadership experience in a not-for-profit or community-based organization.
- Financial acumen with experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work weekends and overtime hours when required to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity was we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
For a full profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D
780.665.4965 ext. 101 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Vogel Group is a leadership search firm with offices in Alberta and Ontario conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity and an unwavering commitment to excellence.
Submit your Resume
In order to best support all candidates, we would like to know more about you. If you self-identify based on gender, sexual orientation, abilities, indigeneity, or racialization please consider completing this Self-Identification survey. It is 100% voluntary and anonymous and not attached to any searches or queries. We appreciate when you volunteer this data as it helps us to establish quantitative and qualitative Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) objectives and goals to help build a culture that supports all people.Complete the Self-Identifying survey