Executive Director - Edmonton Down Syndrome Society
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Edmonton Down Syndrome Society (EDSS) inspires endless potential in all people born with Down Syndrome to live a meaningful, productive, and happy life. The EDSS is committed to supporting people with Down Syndrome and their families, through programming, information, resources and connecting members with peer-to-peer support.
The Executive Director has overall responsibility for, and authority over, the operational management of EDSS. Reporting to the Board of Directors the ED ensures EDSS achieves its mission through effective financial and operational management. The ED is responsible for the leadership and management of all EDSS employees and maintains exceptional relationships with EDSS members and families, donors, volunteers, stakeholders and the Board.
- Post-Secondary education in business, public administration or human services field of study.
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role in the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience working within a culture of giving and expertise with donor management
- Previous experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors.
Leadership, Influence and Public Profile:
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership to the organization on an ongoing basis.
- Represent the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society and protect the integrity and reputation of the organization.
- Develop and implement approved short and long term strategic and operating policies, plans and procedures consistent with the vision, goals and objectives established by the Board of Directors.
- Identify opportunities to enhance the mission of Edmonton Down Syndrome and make appropriate recommendations to the Board of Directors in areas of policy, procedures, administration, community engagement and operations.
- Establish and implement organization policies, procedures and practices in all aspects of EDSS including operations, finances, technology and human resources.
- Lead a culture of operational excellence.
- Lead, coach and mentor EDSS team members.
- Develop and lead a robust fund development strategy to support sustainable operational growth and stability.
- Define and lead strategy for increasing brand awareness and funding.
- Create and implement a donor stewardship plan.
Advocacy/ Community Engagement:
- Develop and oversees the EDSS public relations plans, external marketing programs, external strategic partnerships, reimbursement initiatives and governmental affairs.
- Ensure marketing and communications activities align with the vision of EDSS.
- Act as the primary point of contact for inquiries about Edmonton Down Syndrome and its vision, mission, values, programs, and outcomes.
- Engage, advise and support the Board of Directors in its various roles, including formulating and executing strategic direction(s).
- Develop, interpret and execute a variety of governance and operational policies and processes as required or directed by the Board.
- Play a key role in new Board member orientation.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement the strategic plan.
- Propose the annual budget and operational plan for Board approval.
- Attend all Board meetings, executive committee meetings and other board committee meetings.
- Responsible for working with the Treasurer and staff to manage organization finances including overseeing payroll and benefits for all staff.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity as we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
For a full profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D
780.665.4965 ext. 101
The Vogel Group is a leadership search firm with offices in Alberta and Ontario conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity, and an unwavering commitment to excellence.
Submit your Resume
In order to best support all candidates, we would like to know more about you. If you self-identify based on gender, sexual orientation, abilities, indigeneity, or racialization please consider completing this Self-Identification survey. It is 100% voluntary and anonymous and not attached to any searches or queries. We appreciate when you volunteer this data as it helps us to establish quantitative and qualitative Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) objectives and goals to help build a culture that supports all people.Complete the Self-Identifying survey