Chief Financial Officer - YMCA of Northern Alberta
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The YMCA’s Mission is to create life-enhancing opportunities for the growth and development of all people in spirit, mind and body. The YMCA is committed to the values of respect, honesty, caring, responsibility, diversity and social inclusion.
The YMCA of Northern Alberta has extensive experience and operates facilities in partnerships with municipalities across Central and Northern Alberta. They employ over 1,100 staff, 350 volunteers and provide programs and services to over 120,000 individuals.
As a member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) reporting to the CEO, this position manages the YMCA’s resources and coordinates the development of financial strategies in support of overall business objectives. The CFO participates in the development of long-term strategy for the entire organization and the financial management activities required to sustain that strategy. The CFO is a key partner and leader to the Board of Directors and Audit and Finance Committee. The CFO is also a partner to the CEO and leader for the organization, with both strategic and operational focuses.
- A university degree combined with an accounting designation (a graduate degree in business, finance or accounting would be considered an asset).
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Designation.
- Significant experience in analyzing operational results from a financial perspective to develop strategies leading to improvements in process, efficiency and financial results.
- Possess a genuine passion and commitment to making a positive contribution to your community and bettering people’s’ lives.
- Lead and supervise a Finance and Accounting team of eight individuals.
- Leverage data and business intelligence to identify efficiencies as well as establish direction for operational priorities.
- Optimize external resources (partners, data, reports and insights) to help provide direction to the YMCA.
- Lead long-term development planning, investment strategies and policy development that helps ensure the health and sustainability of the organization including, but not limited to bank and debt financing, financial investments, etc.
- Lead and build capacity in the finance and accounting group as well as develop financial acumen/literacy amongst the organization’s leaders. Provide direction, templates and training for planning and reporting for leaders across the YMCA.
- The CFO’s office holds stewardship responsibilities for oversight and reporting activities for contracts and overall compliance (CRA, legislative and otherwise), with an emphasis on coordinating internal reporting functions and requirements as well as meeting all external funder reporting requirements.
Vision, Planning and Drive
You have a compelling organizational vision that reflects the complexities and challenges of an ever-changing landscape. You have the drive, knowledge and dedication to shape, prepare and lead an organization into the future.
You have a keen ability to understand, plan and adapt to change. Challenges invigorate you and you would thrive in being part of a growing, agile organization.
You enjoy leading robust, critical, and respectful discussions. You present your message to a variety of audiences in a rapidly evolving digital and social media environment. You write clearly and persuasively and can inspire people with your vision.
You cultivate and encourage honesty and transparency when interacting with staff, colleagues and stakeholders including (but not limited to) government representatives, the Board, community members and fellow cause-oriented organizations.
You are a self-confident strategic leader, able to hold your colleagues accountable and motivate staff with vision and innovative thinking. You build and foster successful relationships and you enjoy managing differing perspectives and opinions. You support and mentor staff and teams to create and foster a healthy work environment.
You lead change in a “challenge-positive” way by developing trusting and meaningful relationships with partners inside and outside the Y.
You have strong knowledge of integrated financial and operational management systems and digital transformation.
Work Ethic and Style
You lead by example through your commitment to hard work and accountability and a commitment to sustainable work-life balance.
Decision Making and Problem Solving
You are grounded, have common sense and are a practical data-informed decision-maker. You are a systems thinker and glean meaning from whatever information is available, add personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity was we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
For a full profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D.
780.665.4965 ext. 101 email@example.com
The Vogel Group is a leadership search firm with offices in Alberta and Ontario conducting national searches for a wide range of clients. We work with like-minded organizations that value a partnership based on integrity, authenticity and an unwavering commitment to excellence
Submit your Resume
In order to best support all candidates, we would like to know more about you. If you self-identify based on gender, sexual orientation, abilities, indigeneity, or racialization please consider completing this Self-Identification survey. It is 100% voluntary and anonymous and not attached to any searches or queries. We appreciate when you volunteer this data as it helps us to establish quantitative and qualitative Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) objectives and goals to help build a culture that supports all people.Complete the Self-Identifying survey