CAO - Town of Hinton
Location: Hinton, Alberta
Hinton is rich with outdoor recreation opportunities; there are endless options for camping, hiking, skiing, fishing, water sports, hunting, and off-road vehicle riding. They also have phenomenal soccer, ball, and hockey groups, and offer unparalleled mountain biking opportunities, making Hinton Alberta’s Mountain Bike Mecca.
Thanks to their strong municipal leadership, the Town of Hinton is proactively planning and building to ensure the success and sustainability of their community – Hinton is open for business, recreation, culture, and the arts. Hinton is building their future today and invite you to “Seek better Days” in Hinton.
Reporting to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (“CAO”) is responsible for providing the overall planning, budgeting, strategic leadership, and management of the administration team as guided by the objectives, plans and policies approved by Council and in accordance with the Municipal Governance Act, the Town bylaws and all other applicable legislation. The CAO will recognize and respect the will of Council and ensure both the letter and the spirit of Council’s direction are implemented.
The CAO will be required to reside in Yellowhead County with reasonable proximity to the Town of Hinton.
CAO Administrative Management Duties
• Manages and administers the business of the Town of Hinton in accordance with the bylaws, policies, resolutions, and plans approved by Council.
• Provides strategic management direction and leadership for the Town of Hinton by organizing and establishing corporate objectives, broad policies, and long-range strategies, engaging staff to ensure they are strategically aligned, and ensuring that implementation is carried out.
• Leads, directs, and coordinates the Senior Leadership Team.
• Exercises and maintains sound financial management over the Town of Hinton.
• Oversees daily operations for the Town of Hinton.
Other Areas of Responsibility
• Develops and promotes an inclusive culture respectful of the diversity of people and their respective skills.
• Acts as “the face of the Town” by navigating and managing formal and informal channels and networks with Council, the Town staff, the media, the private sector, neighbouring municipalities, all levels of government and related agencies.
• Represents the interests of the Town of Hinton on federal, provincial, regional and local municipal intergovernmental issues and with the boards, agencies and commissions at the management and administrative level.
The Town of Hinton seeks an energetic, dynamic, progressive, and collaborative leader. In addition to possessing superior tact and diplomacy skills, they will have a strong sense of fairness and compassion, exceptional relationship building skills, and the ability to build and support strong teams.
The CAO will have the ability to create a respectful environment in which diverse perspectives and opinions can emerge and spur transformational ideas.
• An undergraduate degree in business or a relevant field. A combination of alternative education and experience will be considered.
• A proven track record of organizational leadership with demonstrated success in change management.
• A strong understanding of, and commitment to, public service (preferably within a municipality).
• Strong financial and business acumen.
We understand and appreciate our clients’ ever-increasing desire for candidates to reflect the communities in which they work and live. The Vogel Group is committed to inclusivity and diversity as we search for outstanding leadership talent for our clients.
We encourage candidates of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, physical challenges, sexual orientations, and identifications to feel confident in exploring and declaring candidacy for any of our search assignments.
To receive a detailed position profile or to apply, please contact:
Rick Vogel, ICD.D
780.665.4965 ext. 101