Legal Aid Alberta - Corporate Counsel
Location: Edmonton, AB
Do you want to use your brilliant legal mind to solve problems and make a difference? Perhaps Corporate Counsel for Legal Aid Alberta, an independent, publicly-funded and not-for-profit organization, is the next step for you.
Legal Aid Alberta (“LAA”) is an independent, publicly-funded, not-for-profit organization that is an essential and unique player in the provincial legal landscape providing assistance to hundreds of thousands of Albertans each year. Through 272 staff and nearly 1,300 roster lawyers, LAA provides a broad range of services to Albertans who find themselves in a vulnerable position, by assessing their needs, helping them navigate their journey through the justice system and deal with their legal challenges.
Reporting to General Counsel, the Corporate Counsel will advise and assist LAA and its senior management in the areas of labour relations, employment matters, policy drafting and administration, compliance and ethics, privacy and general contracts. While this position has no direct reports, it has a high degree of autonomy and decisions made will, in most cases, determine the course of action for LAA.
The successful candidate will have/hold:
- A Law degree from a recognized law school;
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta and entitled to practice in Alberta;
- A minimum of 5+ years of legal practice, ideally including direct experience with labour and employment law;
- Excellent working knowledge of applicable legislation including the Alberta Labour Relations Code, Employment Standards Code, and Alberta Human Rights Act are considered strong assets;
- Knowledge of regulatory and privacy law, policy drafting;
- Knowledge of conflict management and alternative dispute resolution techniques;
- Knowledge of public legal information or adult education tools and techniques; and
- Strong written and oral communication, with the ability to communicate with a varied group of stakeholders.