CARNA - Government Relations & Public Affairs Lead
Government Relations & Public Affairs Lead
The College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) is the professional and regulatory body for more than 38,000 registered nurses and nurse practitioners in Alberta. With a history that spans over 100 years, CARNA plays an essential role in shaping the framework for registered nurse practice in Alberta and influencing health policy decisions in the best interest of all Albertans.
CARNA is seeking a Government Relations & Public Affairs Lead (GR & PA Lead). Reporting directly to the CEO, this critical role is an intersection of politics, policy, stakeholder communication and engagement, public opinion, corporate reputation and business strategy. The GR & PA Lead’s work encompasses four key areas of responsibility: providing strategic counsel, leading government relations, supporting council advocacy and leading media relations.
As a strong candidate for this role:
- You are a seasoned Government Relations or Public Affairs professional with a successful track record of at least 10 years of senior-level related experience including media relations.
- You hold a post-secondary degree (a master’s degree is preferred).
- You are an expert communicator and relationship builder.
- You are in touch with the political realities and trends in Alberta. Preferably, you also possess experience in or familiarity with the nursing or healthcare contexts in Alberta.
- You are a strategic thinker who understands the downstream effects of decisions and actions, and are nimble and adaptable in all that you do.
Finally, you are compelled by an opportunity to join an important organization at an exciting point in its history as it embarks on the execution of a new strategic plan. You are committed to a culture that is innovative, open, supportive and forward-looking, while at the same time remaining highly professional and accountable.